Monday 19 January 2015

Install I5 Cpu On A Lenovo T61

Upgrading a computer's processor can allow it to operate faster.

Installing an I5 Central Processing Unit, or CPU, into the Lenovo T61 laptop motherboard will help to upgrade the system and allow the computer to operate faster. The Intel I5 CPU provides more speed to run the latest software programs in the Lenovo T61 laptop. Installing the CPU is a matter of removing the existing CPU chip and inserting the new chip into the motherboard socket. You can install the I5 CPU chip with just a screwdriver in about an hour or two.

Instructions

Disassembling the Lenovo T61

1. Turn off the Lenovo T61 laptop and unplug the power cord from the electrical outlet before attempting to install the I5 CPU. Remove the power cord from the power jack in the back of the case and close the display cover.

2. Turn the laptop over so that you're looking at the bottom of the case and remove the battery from the battery bay. Unfasten all the screws on the bottom of the case with a Phillips-head screwdriver, and then flip the laptop back over carefully so that it's sitting upright.

3. Lift the palm rest up and unfasten the touch pad wire cable from the motherboard. Flip the keyboard over and remove the flat ribbon cable from the back of the keyboard.

4. Remove the keyboard from the laptop and unfasten the three screws that secure the speaker cover to the laptop with the Phillips-head screwdriver. Take the speaker cover off the laptop and unfasten the four screws that fastens the cooling fan assembly bracket to the laptop with the Phillips-head screwdriver.

5. Unfasten the screws on the motherboard that secures the left speaker with the Phillips-head screwdriver and move the speaker over to the right side of the laptop case. Detach the cooling fan cable from the motherboard and unfasten the four screws securing the cooling fan to the motherboard with the Phillips-head screwdriver.

6. Take the cooling fan assembly off the motherboard and set it out of the way. Lift the existing CPU chip off the motherboard and remove it from the computer.

Assembling the Lenovo T61

7. Install the new I5 CPU chip into the motherboard and secure the cooling fan assembly to the motherboard with screws. Attach the cooling fan cable to the motherboard and secure the left speaker to the laptop case with screws.

8. Fasten the cooling fan assembly bracket to the case with screws and attach the speaker cover to the laptop with screws. Plug the flat ribbon cable to the back of the keyboard and set the keyboard in place on the laptop.

9. Attach the touch pad wire cable to the back of the pad and set the palm rest in position. Close the display cover carefully and flip the laptop over so that you're looking at the bottom of the case.

10. Fasten all the screws to the bottom of the case and put the battery back into the battery bay. Turn the laptop back over so that it's sitting upright and plug the power cord into the power jack.

11. Plug the other end of the power cord into the electrical outlet and power up the Lenovo T61 laptop.

Tags: Phillips-head screwdriver, with Phillips-head, with Phillips-head screwdriver, bottom case, cooling assembly